Track 1: College Graduates
Undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students apply to Medical Scientist Training Programs (MSTPs) at participating medical schools and the NIH MD/PhD Partnership Training Program during the same admission cycle.
- Must be applying to MSTPs at participating medical schools in the United States.
Acceptance in the NIH MD/PhD Program is contingent upon acceptance into a partnering MSTP.
- Interest in the NIH Oxford-Cambridge Scholars Program (OxCam)
- At this time, the only NIH Graduate Partnerships Program (GPP) that allows Track 1 students to defer their PhD training while completing the first one to three years of medical school is the NIH OxCam Program. Students accepted into the NIH MD/PhD Program will automatically be enrolled in the NIH OxCam Program. For more information, please visit the NIH OxCam website.
- If you are considering a different NIH GPP or Individual Partnership, please contact the program administrators or the main GPP office for more information.
As a Track 1 student, you will be enrolled concurrently in your medical school’s MSTP and the NIH MD/PhD Program. You will begin your training by completing your pre-clinical years of medical school (usually MS1 and MS2) immediately following your acceptance into both programs. This phase of your training will be supported by NIH MSTP funding. You will then transition into the PhD phase of your training, which will be supported by NIH intramural research funds. Your application to the Universities of Oxford or Cambridge should be submitted in the fall of MS2. After meeting your doctoral degree requirements, you will complete your clinical years of medical school (usually MS3 and MS4), which will again be supported by NIH MSTP funding.
- Application portal is now CLOSED.
- Reference letters can be submitted until December 5, 2019.
- Applications must be submitted electronically
- Applications must be submitted through the GPP application portal: https://www2.training.nih.gov/transfer/gppapp.
- There is no fee for submitting applications through the GPP application portal. Partnering medical schools and universities may have an application fee.
- 2019 interview dates for Track 1 applicants are tentatively scheduled for February 11, 12, and 13. You must attend all three days.
- The program will cover your transportation and lodging costs during interviews.
Applications Required for Admissions Consideration and University Choice:
Only the NIH GPP application is required for considering your admission to the NIH MD/PhD Program:
- Create your account and select “Apply Now.”
- Select GPP APPLICATION (LONG FORM)
- Under Partnership Selection, select:
University of Oxford (England) / University of Cambridge (England) / Consortia of Universities - NIH - MD/PhD - Track-1